
I received some news yesterday that caused me to pause and think. Before I share this news, let me give you some background info.
First of all, I am vegetarian. Well, according to my mother, I have "vegetarianism." In her eyes, I have been afflicted with this condition, and it is the root cause of all ailments in my body from the common cold to poor eyesight. Nonetheless, I do not eat food that comes from the death of an animal that has eyeballs. I know that's a crazy definition, but it's the easiest way to explain what I eat and what I don't eat. (And yes, I know that potatoes can have eyes, but they are not animals.) I am not a vegan (a person who won't eat anything that came from an animal including all dairy and even honey), and I don't mind if you eat meat. It's my choice, and I've been meat-less for 12 years.
Secondly, I just finished training for my first marathon - 26.2 miles. I trained with The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training, and it was a wonderful experience. If you're not a runner, let me just explain that the training requirements for this are significant. For nearly four months, I spent every Saturday running long distances - typically 8+ miles - which began at 5:00 A.M. or 7:00 A.M. in addition to my runs during the week. Needless to say, it's a huge commitment and can take a toll on the body. But thanks to my coaches, mentor, running buddies and my sports chiropractor, I crossed the finish line in one piece. A little delusional, but alive. (And for you inquiring minds, I am making plans to run my second marathon in April.)
Finally, I teach twenty-two very active 2nd graders. Combined, I'm convinced they have enough energy to sustain my house for eight years. My students are brilliant seven & eight year olds who love to remind me how old I'm getting, but love me unconditionally. I love my job and thank God that He gave me the privilege of working with my little friends. (Admittedly, I don't always feel this way especially the last few days near a break when a phenomenon occurs where these typically precious children lose their hearing and develop a sense of sassiness that is not phased by a threat of losing recess.)
Knowing the above information, it may come to no surprise to you that I was recently diagnosed with "severe iron deficiency." I received this news after my doctor recently took my blood. "You mean, I'm not supposed to feel this way?" And by "this way," I mean so tired and lethargic that every time my body gets in a horizontal position I fall asleep within seconds. Some might call that a talent, but I assure you, it's annoying!
Doctor's nurse told me that I must (with incredible seriousness in her tone as she said "must") take prescription iron pills every day, and if I don't, I could end up with an IV. Oh my! This sounds scary. She explains that I will take these pills for a couple of months, have my blood rechecked, and we will go from there. "Yes, ma'am!" I reply as I wonder if she is related to my mom with her forcefulness and my desire to obey every word she says.
Don't worry; I will be diligent about taking my horse pills. (I swear the geniuses at these pharmaceutical companies just sit around laughing at the prospect of some poor anemic girl trying to choke down these life-saving iron pills which are the size of a hard-boiled egg.)
After my initial shock dissipated, I realized that the news could have been scarier. So I decided that although I don't like being labeled as "severely iron deficient," I am never far from the source of all energy - Jesus Christ. For the joy of the Lord is my strength! It's truly amazing that I was able to finish a marathon, continue to teach my precious angels every day, and still have "vegetarianism." God is good! You'll have to excuse me now as it's time to begin the process of swallowing the horse pill. Oh my - do you think those mean pharmacy guys put some horse parts in it?
First of all, I am vegetarian. Well, according to my mother, I have "vegetarianism." In her eyes, I have been afflicted with this condition, and it is the root cause of all ailments in my body from the common cold to poor eyesight. Nonetheless, I do not eat food that comes from the death of an animal that has eyeballs. I know that's a crazy definition, but it's the easiest way to explain what I eat and what I don't eat. (And yes, I know that potatoes can have eyes, but they are not animals.) I am not a vegan (a person who won't eat anything that came from an animal including all dairy and even honey), and I don't mind if you eat meat. It's my choice, and I've been meat-less for 12 years.
Secondly, I just finished training for my first marathon - 26.2 miles. I trained with The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training, and it was a wonderful experience. If you're not a runner, let me just explain that the training requirements for this are significant. For nearly four months, I spent every Saturday running long distances - typically 8+ miles - which began at 5:00 A.M. or 7:00 A.M. in addition to my runs during the week. Needless to say, it's a huge commitment and can take a toll on the body. But thanks to my coaches, mentor, running buddies and my sports chiropractor, I crossed the finish line in one piece. A little delusional, but alive. (And for you inquiring minds, I am making plans to run my second marathon in April.)
Finally, I teach twenty-two very active 2nd graders. Combined, I'm convinced they have enough energy to sustain my house for eight years. My students are brilliant seven & eight year olds who love to remind me how old I'm getting, but love me unconditionally. I love my job and thank God that He gave me the privilege of working with my little friends. (Admittedly, I don't always feel this way especially the last few days near a break when a phenomenon occurs where these typically precious children lose their hearing and develop a sense of sassiness that is not phased by a threat of losing recess.)
Knowing the above information, it may come to no surprise to you that I was recently diagnosed with "severe iron deficiency." I received this news after my doctor recently took my blood. "You mean, I'm not supposed to feel this way?" And by "this way," I mean so tired and lethargic that every time my body gets in a horizontal position I fall asleep within seconds. Some might call that a talent, but I assure you, it's annoying!
Doctor's nurse told me that I must (with incredible seriousness in her tone as she said "must") take prescription iron pills every day, and if I don't, I could end up with an IV. Oh my! This sounds scary. She explains that I will take these pills for a couple of months, have my blood rechecked, and we will go from there. "Yes, ma'am!" I reply as I wonder if she is related to my mom with her forcefulness and my desire to obey every word she says.
Don't worry; I will be diligent about taking my horse pills. (I swear the geniuses at these pharmaceutical companies just sit around laughing at the prospect of some poor anemic girl trying to choke down these life-saving iron pills which are the size of a hard-boiled egg.)
After my initial shock dissipated, I realized that the news could have been scarier. So I decided that although I don't like being labeled as "severely iron deficient," I am never far from the source of all energy - Jesus Christ. For the joy of the Lord is my strength! It's truly amazing that I was able to finish a marathon, continue to teach my precious angels every day, and still have "vegetarianism." God is good! You'll have to excuse me now as it's time to begin the process of swallowing the horse pill. Oh my - do you think those mean pharmacy guys put some horse parts in it?
Wow....how long have you been feeling bad? I'll catch up with you on Christmas Eve. I hope the horse pills help quickly.
ReplyDeleteI had to take those horse pills when I was pregnant with Hadyn. I'm anemic, too, which is one reason I had the Novasure procedure done. And I'm a meat-a-tarian!!! Seems I've been this way since I was a teen. And I always thought sleeping was a hobby.
ReplyDelete