Saturday, July 11, 2009



A Fairy Tale Finish

They say that when you complete your first marathon that you are at risk of developing the "marathon bug" - a pesky, but benign parasite that nags at you to run more. After I completed the White Rock Marathon last December as a part of Team in Training, I was afflicted with this contagious need to put on my running shoes and complete more marathons.

But my desire to cross the finish line is not purely a selfish one; I want to help cure cancer and improve the lives of the patients and their families who are in the fight of theirs lives. So I have made a commitment to train again with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's (LLS) Team In Training. I've set my sights on running the Walt Disney World Marathon in January 2010.

While I'll be running at "the happiest place on earth," I am completing this event in honor of all individuals who are battling blood cancers. Here is why I train with TNT:

  • Every five minutes someone new is diagnosed with a blood cancer; every 10 minutes someone loses their battle.
  • Leukemia is the number one killer of children and strikes ten times as many adults.
  • Non-Hodgkin lymphoma is the sixth most common cancer in the United States.

The people who are fighting these ugly diseases are the real heroes on our team, and I need your support to have a fairy tale finish - a cure!

Please make a donation to support my participation in Team In Training and help advance LLS's mission at http://pages.teamintraining.org/ntx/wdw10/bboardman.

As always, I will keep you updated on my training adventures. If you were able to follow me last year, you know that crazy things just happen when I'm running. :)

May you be richly blessed as you bless others!


No comments:

Post a Comment