Friday, July 31, 2009

Passing Grade

My summer vacation is winding down. In only a couple of weeks, I will be back in my home away from home, my classroom, preparing for my next group of second graders. And although I’m super excited to meet my little guys, I’m bummed about not being able to run in the mornings like I do all summer. If you wonder why I don’t just get up well before the crack of dawn to run, that’s an entirely different story which I will share with you in a week. Let’s just say I witnessed something on a 4 A.M. run that no one should ever have to see.

Back to my passing grade…this morning was a glorious morning to run. Seventy-something degrees. Light breeze. Mostly sunny skies. I laced up my shoes and headed out. The terrain of my run today can be classified as hilly. I knew going out there that my body would be pushed harder than normal, so I wrapped my brain around this elevated challenge. I also planned to run a little farther than normal, so I mapped out my route keeping in mind that I would encounter a few hills.

With my game plan ready, I set out. The first couple of miles were great! My I-pod was keeping my mind off of the hills, and I was feeling good. Knowing that these morning runs would be coming to an end in two weeks, I tried taking it all in. And that’s when I spotted her. Up ahead of me about 100 yards, I saw a female running. She was the epitome of fitness – toned, tiny and tan. As I continued on my path, I noticed, “Hey – wait a minute…I’m actually gaining on Miss Runner Girl up there.” I’m not proud of what transpired next. Something deep inside me kicked in, and I decided to try to pass Little Miss Thang. Obviously, my insecurities flared, and all I could think of was, “Go! Go! Go! Run harder, run faster, beat HER!” Despite the music playing in my ears, all I could hear was the theme from Chariots of Fire.

To the surprise of my weak legs and anemic blood, I passed her. And I did it going up a hill. I’m so glad she couldn’t hear what was going in my head. It sounded something like, “Take that, girlfriend! I still got it goin’ on!” Oh my goodness, how embarrassing!

So today, I got a passing grade. And what do I have to show for it? Nothing, really. But it got me thinking about those who are running the race to beat cancer. You know, when they get a “passing grade,” they have a LIFE to show for it. My dad lost his fight with cancer a couple of years ago, and I felt so helpless during his battle. After his death, I decided to do SOMETHING to help other cancer patients. So, I run for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society so that we can kick cancer in the asphalt. Please help these patients pass with flying colors; make a donation today by visiting my website. Thank you so much for your support! God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment