Bennett, a 20-month old, airplane-loving, big-smile wearing boy, is fighting leukemia and his sweet parents are my running buddies. Kirsa and Keith will be running their first full marathon in 7 days, and I've had the incredible privilege of mentoring them during their training season.
Back to Give It for Bennett Day. Yes, I can be a cheese-ball at times. I'm a product of the 70's and 80's; what can I say? But just listen to me for a minute. Bennett is in a chemotherapy treatment phase that has taken quite a toll on his little body. As such, he is in the hospital right now. Kirsa and Keith knew this was a real possibility, and they were prepared with a Plan A and Plan B when it came to their race day.
- Plan A: if Bennett was well and his levels were good, Kirsa's dad would be waiting with Bennett near the finish line and would hand Bennett off to Keith. Keith would hold Bennett and Kirsa, Keith and Bennett would cross the finish line together. Oh my goodness, can you visualize that finish line moment? Go ahead. Go get some tissues. What a touching moment that would have been!
- Plan B: Knowing that Bennett might not have been able to be at the race, Kirsa and Keith had a Plan B which was to run the race without Bennett there. Well, sports fans, since sweet Bennett is at Children's Dallas and will be there until his levels come back up, he will most likely not be coming to the race. Bummer, yes. But, it is what's best for Bennett.
I remembered something that Kirsa & Keith shared at the beginning of our Team's training season about why they joined Team In Training especially since obviously they have their hands full right now with a child going through chemotherapy for the next three and a half years. It was such a simple yet profound response. Their decision to join was in an effort to do something in this fight against cancer and as a way to pay it forward. They recognized that all of the advances in research and the benefits in treatment that Bennett is receiving is because of the efforts of individuals who have come before Bennett and them. So, they felt that in their helplessness to do anything to cure their child, joining Team In Training, where 75% of every dollar donated goes directly to research, patient care and education, they would be making a difference for the next Bennett. Amazing insight, huh?
So, that's why I would love for you to join me in designating your own Give It for Bennett Day. You don't have to publicly proclaim it, unless you want to, of course. I'm just asking for you to consider doing any of these three things as a way to join Kirsa & Keith as they support Bennett during this time and especially as they plan to run their first marathon in a week:
- Give it to the Lord. Kirsa and Keith are believers and have told me that their faith has increased exponentially through this journey with Bennett. They believe in the power of prayer, and thank all of you who have been praying for their little boy. If you decide you could give some time to the Lord through prayer, would you please lift up Bennett in prayer? Specifically, he needs his ANC levels to increase, his body needs to be protected from further infection, and he needs complete healing of his leukemia.
- Give it to someone else. Please consider following in the example of Kirsa and Keith and pay it forward. Do a good deed for someone else. It doesn't need to be a big deal. Just do something nice. [Cue sappy music here] What the world needs now is love, sweet love! :)
- Give it to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in Bennett's honor. I am not kidding you when I say that any amount will help. If you can only give $1, then give that. I have a dream that one day, there will be a time when cancer would be a thing of the past. I can tell you from what I see in my classroom that we are educating some brilliant minds, and I know that this dream will one day become a reality. I know it will take funds to do that as well, so please consider making a donation of any size today.
If you decide to have your own Give It for Bennett Day, would you just let me know? I don't need to know the details, but I'd just like to let Kirsa and Keith know that the journey they are traveling with Bennett is impacting others in a positive way...through prayer, kindness and giving. Need some more motivation? Just look at this sweet face...
Thank you all for you continued support, your well wishes and prayers for Bennett, Kirsa, Keith, and little, old me. Until next time, keep on keepin' on!


I'm praying for sweet Bennett. Thanks for the updates.
ReplyDelete