Yup. That’s me. Twinkle Toes. It started when I was just three years old when my parents signed me up for tumbling which subsequently led to my enrollment in ballet class which eventually led to a 13-year “career” of dancing. Working my feet to the bone (at times almost literally) was not uncommon for me in my younger years. The dance studio and theatre stage were the only places where I wasn’t bumping into furniture or tripping over my big feet. It was my happy place, my escape from mean girls, and my home away from home.It’s no wonder that I have found myself engaging in another activity which involves my feet. I began running in college as a way to release stress. I know this sounds strange, but I spent most of my time studying so that I could make my parents proud and graduate. Running around campus and around my apartment complex brought me some distraction to my crazy studying schedule. I suppose it paid off – I graduated (hook ‘em) and I developed a lifelong, healthy habit.
So, now I’m in my late (ok, very late) 30’s. I imagine you could still call me Twinkle Toes. But it’s certainly not because I can jeté across a stage. No, definitely not. It’s because of a new craze I’ve adopted – barefoot running. OK, hold on – please do not place me in the category of the hippie-looking, peace-loving, tree-hugging, no deodorant-wearing flower child. My barefoot running is more preventative than anything else. Due to my years of twinkling my toes, I have acquired some hip issues which have lead to some nagging injuries. Barefoot running asserts that it helps runners like me remain injury-free and develop stronger feet and legs. I assure you that when I was advised that I should try this unusual running technique, my first response was pure laughter. After trying it for a few weeks, I’m now a believer - so much so that I have obtained a pair of shoes developed for the barefoot runner. Please try to contain your laughter as you look at this picture of my feet in my new shoes…

So why in the world would I go to these lengths to keep running? It’s simple really. I run not because I can, but for those who can’t. I run for my dad who fought cancer with all he had, whose memory lives on in my heart, and who I miss every moment of every day. I run for a young friend of mine who will spend her eighth birthday in the hospital as she receives treatment for an ongoing disease that is stealing away some of her childhood and innocence. I run for all of the people who will be diagnosed with blood cancer today; every four minutes one new person is diagnosed. I run for every family member who will walk alongside their mom, dad, sister, brother, daughter or son as they fight the good fight. And if it takes me wearing some bizarre-looking shoes in order to accomplish my mission, so be it. I’ll gladly be called Twinkle Toes and endure the strange looks of passersby if my running helps save the life of one person or leads to finding a cure for all.
No comments:
Post a Comment